cash loans
Home » Dog News

Keep These Plants Away From Dogs

Keep These Plants Away From Dogs

azalea.jpg
Photo by billums

As spring quickly approaches, flowers begin to bloom and people begin their warm-weathered routine of caring for their lawn. However, if you have a new puppy or a pet you’ve had for several years, it is still important to consider what you have in your front lawn or backyard.

There are many different plants that are poisonous to dogs if they are ingested, and insecticides are harmful as well. Here is a non-exhaustive list of a few plants to look out for this coming spring season; it may affect what you may or may not decide to plant over the next few weeks.

An ever popular plant that is found in many lawns each spring is the Azalea flower plant (Rhododendron spp.). This is a poisonous plant, and though ingestion is not usually known to result in death, it does cause severe stomach and intestine irritation. The symptoms of consumption include stomach irritation, abdominal pain, an abnormal heart rate or rhythm, and convulsions. Sometimes, with great quantities of Azalea consumption, a coma and/or death can result, though that is often not the case.

Another common plant that grows in yards across the United States is English Ivy (Hedera helix L.). It is a dark green vine plant that can be found in almost any locale. They are gorgeous and elegant as they climb up the side of the house or the trees in the backyard, or even as they hang from a plant holder inside your home. English Ivy’s beauty may be deceiving, however; this plant is very toxic to dogs if it is consumed. The symptoms of ingestion include stomach irritation, diarrhea, difficulty breathing and a coma which may result in death.

Lantana is a flower plant that can be very harmful if eaten. It is a popular plant that is present in gardens practically everywhere. It does not always cause death, but it may in extra critical cases. The leaves and berries of the lantana plant are the most toxic part, though the flower section is harmful as well. The symptoms of consumption include weakness, sluggishness, and bloody diarrhea. If the case is severe, death will occur within 2 to 4 days after the plant is eaten.

If you decide to fertilize your lawn this spring, there are a few things you will need to consider first. Fertilizers are often harmful to dogs, and you will need to keep your pet away from the area after the fertilizer has been applied. If you get your lawn professionally fertilized, speak with the professional and ask them when your pup can safely walk over the lawn again. If you decide to self-apply the chemicals, be sure to carefully follow the instructions, and if there is nothing on the packaging that relates to animals, call the manufacturer and ask them; it is always better to be safe than sorry!

Keeping an eye out for plants and flowers that can harm your pet is important. It is easy to not think about what we have in our lawn or our backyard. Even if your dog rarely chews on grass or eats things that aren’t food, it is always a good idea to simply not have anything that could hurt them; your dog will thank you for it!

Article provided by Pet Super Store a site featuring:
dog crates, pet carriers and pet strollers